Waxahatchee (Katie Crutchfield) shared a cover of Woody Guthrie’s “Talking Dust Bowl Blues.” The track is set to land on the forthcoming tribute album Home In This World: Woody Guthrie’s Dust Bowl Ballads, due out on September 10 via Elektra Records.
Grammy-winning music supervisor and producer Randall Poster (The Wolf of Wall Street, The Grand Budapest Hotel) curated the star-studded Home In This World: Woody Guthrie’s Dust Bowl Ballads. The LP revisits the legendary folk artist’s groundbreaking 1940 album, Dust Bowl Ballads, widely considered one of the first concept albums. Home In This World carries the full support of the Woody Guthrie Estate and benefits the sustainable agriculture nonprofit Kiss The Ground.
Poster detailed the project in a statement:
Woody Guthrie’s Dust Bowl Ballads is as relevant as ever. While profiteers exploit our natural resources, there is a growing sensitivity to the harsh farming practices that put our well-being at risk and a concerted movement toward regenerative agriculture that can reinvigorate the soil and push back on climate change. I asked some of my favorite artists to help render these songs, hoping that this collection will reinforce the enduring power and prescience of Guthrie’s music and reveal the power of song. I tried to think of these songs as the soundtrack to a movie, building a narrative, a story where the world wakes up to the climate threats and unite to combat it successfully. It’s a great movie.
The record also sees contributions from Lee Ann Womack, John Paul White, Chris Thile, Shovels & Rope, Mark Lanegan, Watkins Family Hour, Colter Wall, Lillie Mae and more. Heralded in July with The Secret Sisters performing “Dust Cain’t Kill Me,” the rollout of Home In This World continues with Waxahatchee’s “Talking Dust Bowl Blues.”
Crutchfield’s cover arrived along with a lyric video. Watch it below:
Home In This World: Woody Guthrie’s Dust Bowl Ballads Tracklist & Artists
- Dust Bowl Blues – Shovels & Rope
- I Ain’t Got No Home In This World Anymore – Lost Dog Street Band
- Blowin’ Down This Road – Watkins Family Hour
- Pretty Boy Floyd – John Paul White
- Dusty Old Dust – Lee Ann Womack
- Do Re Mi – Colter Wall
- Talking Dust Bowl Blues – Waxahatchee
- Tom Joad Part 1 – Chris Thile
- Tom Joad Part 2 – Lillie Mae
- The Great Dust Storm – The Felice Brothers
- Dust Cain’t Kill Me – The Secret Sisters
- Dust Bowl Refugee – Swamp Dogg
- Dust Pneumonia Blues – Mark Lanegan
- Vigilante Man – Parker Millsap